Are you stuck at square one when it comes to email marketing?
Don’t even have an email marketing account set up, let alone a list to send your e-shots to?
From a workshop session we ran at Her Business Brew Norwich, it became evident that many seem to be stuck at square one when it comes to email marketing.
There seems so much information about what to write in your email marketing, or how to build your mailing list, however, this can put many people off who don’t even know where to start!
So, if you are stuck at the starting blocks when it comes to email marketing, this blog will give you the basics to creating a campaign in the most used email marketing programme, MailChimp.
How to simply create a mailout campaign on MailChimp
Once you have set up a MailChimp account and imported your mailing list (which is very easy by using my MailChimp Masterclass – How to Guide) you can create a campaign using the following steps:
- Navigate to the campaigns page and click Create Campaign in the upper-right corner of the screen to create a Regular Campaign. To create a Plain-Text Campaign, A/B Testing Campaign, or RSS campaign, click the drop-down menu and select that option.
- On the Recipients step, choose a list from the drop-down menu, and click Entire list, or pick a segmentation option. Click Next or Setup in the progress bar.
- On the Setup step, input your Email subject, From name, and From email address and click Next in the progress bar.
- On the Template step, the easiest option is to click on Themes to select from Mailchimp’s predesigned layouts.
- In the Design step, you then input and customize your campaign content.
- Once you’re satisfied with your design, click Next or Confirm in the progress bar.
- Review the Pre-Delivery Checklist on the Confirm step. Click Resolve to navigate directly to the step to fix any errors that may appear. To make other changes, click the Edit button to return to a step.
- When you’ve finished testing your campaign, you can either send the campaign immediately or schedule it to go out at another time.
- If you’re ready to send the campaign to your subscribers, click the Send button. The Prepare for launch modal will appear, and when you confirm your send by clicking Send Now your campaign will be on its way to your mailing list!
Things to consider
When using Mailchimp to send your Campaign it is important to consider the following:
- Each recipient on your MailChimp list is hidden from all the other recipients.
- Test your campaign before you send to your entire list. You can use the preview and test function in Mailchimp to do this.
- MailChimp automatically includes both an HTML version and a plain-text alternative version for each of your subscribers. This ensures your subscribers view your content as expected, regardless of the email client or program they use.
- MailChimp is designed to send email campaigns that contain HTML code and plain-text content. Due to this Mailchimp advises against using other code to create campaigns.
Your campaign content
Once you have mastered ‘how to’ send a Mailchimp campaign, then it is then important to write your campaigns in a way that appeals to your audience and ensures that they actually open and read your email once it hits their inbox!
Some advice and guidance on creating amazing email campaign content can be found here…